So you’re going to have a baby. CONGRATULATIONS! Now it’s time to make the most important decision of the next nine months: choosing the perfect caregiver for you and that little lovebug growing in your belly. Your midwife is going to play an integral role in what may be the most intimate, vulnerable moment of your life so picking the right one is of the utmost importance – especially since your hormones orchestrate birth.
Schedule a face-to-face interview to play 20 questions with your midwife before committing to their services. I suggest bringing your partner or family members along to share feedback afterward, too. Aside from the pretty website, great online testimonies and generally good vibes, you need to know your midwife is going to your back 110% no matter what happens.
Feel free to use these 20 as a cheat sheet.
- Why did you choose to become a midwife?
- What is your training, education or certification?
- How many years have you been practicing midwifery?
- How many births have you attended?
- Do you have any children of your own? If so, what were your birth experiences like?
- What drug-free methods do you suggest for mothers to deal with labor pain?
- How many mothers planning home births have you transported to the hospital? What is the main cause?
- Do you have hospital privileges? If so, where?
- What percentage of mothers under your care end up getting c-sections?
- Have any mothers or babies died under your care? If so, what was the cause?
- How many high-risk pregnancies have you worked with, if any? What were the risks?
- What’s the longest pregnancy you’ve cared for? Do you ever suggest induction?
- Are you trained in neonatal resuscitation?
- Do you have an assistant who will be in attendance? If so, can I meet them beforehand?
- How many births do you attend each month?
- You will be at my birth, right?
- What postpartum care do you provide?
- Will you provide lactation counseling?
- How much do you charge? When is the full payment due?
- Do you accept payment plans?